As a Lead Carpenter you are responsible for the daily operations in the GPJ fabrication shop as it relates to the Shop Write Ups you are assigned and are to view yourself as the Project Managers counterpart. You will provide direct supervision to like craftsmen working on your Shop Write Ups. You are responsible for cross department communication with the Department Supervisors that have action items for your projects. You will also serve as a fabrication expert, providing suggestions that will help to meet the client’s expectations. Overall, you are responsible for your projects holistically from start to finish.
Your first responsibility is to manage job timelines and deadlines as dictated by your department’s schedule. It is critical that items move from each department ontime. You should identify potential difficulties in upcoming production tasks, assuring standard material availability, and dictating goals and tasks to the craftsman assigned to you. You will communicate upstream and downstream to all relevant stakeholders regarding your workload and changes, as necessary. To accomplish this task, you will work closely with the assigned Project Manager, the Manager, Fabrication, and the Department Supervisors.
Your second responsibility is to lead, and help train the teammates around you. You will be very well-versed in all areas of exhibit fabrication techniques. You will also help manage and advise on shop layout and stock material needs with regards to quantities, material posting, racking and efficient utilization of limited space.
Other responsibilities as assigned by Management.
- Minimum of (5) years of industry related fabrication experience.
- An ability to communicate clearly in a timely fashion verbally and through written text.
- General computer skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Significant experience or knowledge of the exhibit industry, specifically regarding fabrication of exhibits and managing a work crew.
You will be successful if you are able to posses:
- Be intimate with the schedule provided by Shop Management. Each Shop Write Up can be viewed on an individual Department Scheduled and is mapped before it is released to the Shop. Understand that items can be completed sooner than their scheduled end date but must always be completed by that scheduled end date. If there is ever a time that a scheduled date is missed, alert the Manager, Fabrication.
- Ensure projects that you are assigned meet the defined expectations for production quality. Flag any quality concerns to the Manager, Fabrication and Project Manager immediately. Quality Control is a major responsibility of this role. Ensuring that GPJ fabrication quality is best in class and taking ownership of that as a delivery from our shop is a must. Success will be measured through client and end-user satisfaction.
- Attend project launch meetings.
- Monitor labor assigned and hours being used versus the estimated time allowed on the Shop Write Up. Report all variances to the Manager, Fabrication and your Project Manager.
- Communicate with the Manager, Fabrication to identify stock material requirements and issues. Communicate upstream if you find stock materials are running low or are depleted.
Onsite Build Execution:
- Direct and guide local carpenters on the rebuild of exhibits onsite at the event.
- Set timelines to make sure that the exhibit is completed before the event start date.
- Troubleshoot any issues that may arise from the rebuild. Work with the Project Manager on a resolution if needed.
- Conduct quality checks to make sure that the build is completed correctly and safely.
- Conduct quality checks for presentation and esthetics.
Administration & Training:
- Keep track of how many hours have been used by yourself, and the craftsman assigned to you, by noting it and any other worthy information on your Shop Write Up. Turn these sheets into the Manager, Fabrication. Flag any concerns with regards to budgeted hours immediately upon receipt of work. Identify any change order items to the PM directing work for authorization and inclusion in project tracking.
Provide guidance and direction to the builders assigned to you.
- Maintain and enforce GPJ Las Vegas safety programs and initiatives. Share best practice across the fabrication function.
Standards of Conduct:
Constructive – Demonstrate a positive, solution-oriented approach that fosters collaboration
Connector – Proactively communicate with colleagues and respond to requests in a timely manner
Role Model – Maintain a positive working relationship and act as a role model for direct reports.
Diligent – You are persistent and willing to change tactics in your efforts to accomplish your goals and get the information you need.
Perceptive – Identifying potential needs regarding the scope or difficulty of tasks well in advance of need, is vital to this role’s success.
Deadline-Driven – The understanding and need to complete tasks within a given timeframe is essential.
Responsible – Not only do you take pride in your work, but you hold yourself accountable for the tasks and jobs you are given and own your mistakes.
Knowledgeable – You possess a large breadth of information and deep understanding of your role and the tasks you are given.
Cooperative – Developing efficient and effective relationships with individuals who hold a stake in your work is a trait that you encourage and promote.
Who We Are
GPJ is the world leader in experiential marketing. Our 29 global offices are filled with fearless people dreaming up ideas that are transforming industries and bringing the most respected brands to life in powerfully, exciting ways. We are a part of the Project Worldwide family. An independent, employee-owned global network of complementary, wholly owned agencies.
You read that “employee-owned” part, right? You heard us correctly. You work hard, she works hard, we all work hard… we all succeed and reap the rewards. We have an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) – providing our employees with an ownership interest. We thought you would want to know that. In fact, there is a lot more you would want to know about us, like our employer matching 401(k) plan (no vesting period), our “no employee contribution” healthcare option. But we are getting ahead of ourselves here, let’s talk about this this exciting opportunity first and we can fill you in on our perks & benefits later.
GPJ is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. In addition to federal law requirements, GPJ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. GPJ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on any protected class.