GPJ is hiring an experienced Exhibit Operations and General Contractor Manager to work with a high profile tech client.
This is a hybrid role out of our San Francisco (preferred) office.
Do you inspire others to come together and create lasting, unique, large scale once-in-a-lifetime events? Do you get a thrill knowing your work directly impacts the growth of your clients’ business? Do you dream in excel spreadsheets or smartsheets? If you answered, “yes” to these questions, you will want to read on.
The Exhibit Operations Manager (EOM) is responsible for project managing a wide and deep array of tasks depending on the event, the event size, and team structure. In general, this position engages early in the planning process and with internal team members and vendor partners throughout the lifecycle of the event. From the start of the cycle, the EOM is a key consultant and contributor for the exhibit areas and the planning timeline. Also, becoming well-versed on building layout, policies, capabilities and services, the facility contract, and understanding the parameters within which the event needs to be designed and operated.
The EOM is the lead POC with the General Contractor (GC) for union labor, exhibitor rentals, carpet, the move in and move out process, registration builds, shipping, and more. Depending on the venue, the GC may provide electrical and rigging, or the venue may provide these services. Either way, the EOM is usually also the main POC for those service vendors and gets the costs, roles and responsibilities, deadlines, order forms, and shares these with the internal teams.
The EOM is a major driver of timeline deliverables and order deadlines for services.
You will rock this job if you can:
- Engage with appointed GC’s or create a RFP for GC services and go through the RFP process, analysis and award the business.
- Understand the scope of work and what GPJ is responsible for. Confirm the roles and responsibilities for all logistics.
- Engage with the venue early to understand the facility roles and responsibilities, exclusive services, and billable services.
- Understand registration technology being used for Sponsors and Exhibitors Resource Center (SRC/ERC) and provide appropriate participation and deadline information to the registration team.
- Work with Clients, Sponsorship Team, and GC on the exhibitor manual.
- Work with the creative team and clients on various elements not limited to: carpet color, builds, overhead elements, lighting, booth sizes and locations, food and beverage layouts and needs.
- Collaborate with other partner vendors and internal GPJ team members on all logistics including, but not limited to, Security, Food and Beverage, Content, Ambassadors, Lighting, Sound, Labor, Fabrication, Transportation, Shipping, etc.
- Project manage the floor plan creation and evolution with internal and external teams.
- Project manage builds and activations in spaces other than the exhibit hall.
- Project manage booths/builds/kiosk areas, from sourcing through reconciliation which may involve GPJ fabrication or other vendor(s).
- It is a best practice to share costs with the sponsorship team by sponsor level for turnkey booths, labor, electrical, equipment, furniture, etc, before the prospectus is finalized to ensure that the sponsorship pricing is in line with the overall costs.
- Manage venue relations.
- Manage cleaning schedules.
- Manage GC budgets.
- Work with finance on purchase orders, credit card use, invoices and reconciliation of the job.
- Work with clients on technology and electrical needs.
- Execute contracts for third party vendors either through clients or through GPJ approved processes.
- Submit work orders /event specs.
- Contribute to and manage the planning timeline.
- Create and own the production schedule – orchestrate the input process for partner vendors and internal teams and address priorities, dependencies and “must haves”.
- Coordinate onsite move in / prioritizing vendor trucks, utilities, install and labor schedules.
Who You Are
This is the section that has some of those soft skills that we look for.
Excellent Communication- You understand how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully. You possess excellent negotiation and conflict-resolution skills.
Flexible- You are able to change directions quickly without significant impact to performance. You effortlessly juggle multiple things simultaneously while delivering information in a timely manner and adhere to established timelines.
Innovative- You drive, develop and support new and improved methods, products, procedures or technologies. You are constantly challenging yourself to come up with authentic and innovative ideas to transform the client’s brand.
What You’ll Need
- Organization, project management and coordination with internal and external partners.
- Extremely detail oriented.
- Parallel thinking – what needs to happen along with…
- Forward and methodical thinking – what needs to happen when, and what happens if…
- Linear and non-linear planning, keeping track of changes that affect timeline deliverables, understanding dependencies, the ability to communicate and understand risks.
- Strong budgeting skills.
- Goal oriented and able to follow through on action items/deliverables/meetings follow up items.
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively .
- Exceptional communicator and collaborator able to connect with all stakeholders, understand and respect the goals of the client and r&r’s of all partners.
- Understand the whole event, not just the exhibit hall, there are many opportunities (and required areas) where the EOM can/must contribute knowledge whether it be labor, move in/out, and services.
- Effectively lead meetings to accomplish stated meeting goals and objectives, facilitate the discovery and sharing of information.
- Inspiring, positive and diplomatic, encouraging team mentality.
- Confident and knowledgeable contributor while seeking and accepting input from others.
- Flexibility, able to pivot and accept changes, communicate efficiently to clients, vendors, team members, and labor.
- Ingenious, creative and a problem solver.
- General understanding of unions and how union labor works. Able to understand differences between unions, the jurisdiction of work they provide, skill sets, and differences in rates.
- Understanding the order in which activities need to occur for set / strike, ability to follow a production schedule/ timeline.
- Ability to read a floor plan and visualize it at eye level (3D/elevation), in addition to the overhead view (2D).
- Tech savvy; proficient in G-Suite products
Salary range $90-120k
Salary is dependent on a variety of factors including (but not limited to) experience, skills, and location.
Who We Are
GPJ is the world leader in experiential marketing. Our 29 global offices are filled with fearless people dreaming up ideas that are transforming industries and bringing the most respected brands to life in powerfully, exciting ways. We are a part of the Project Worldwide family. An independent, employee-owned global network of complementary, wholly owned agencies.
You read that “employee-owned” part, right? You heard us correctly. You work hard, she works hard, we all work hard… we all succeed and reap the rewards. We have an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) – providing our employees with an ownership interest. We thought you would want to know that. In fact, there is a lot more you would want to know about us, like our FTO policy (no more “accruing” time off), our employer matching 401(k) plan (no vesting period), our “no employee contribution” healthcare option. But we are getting ahead of ourselves here, let’s talk about this exciting opportunity first and we can fill you in on our perks & benefits later.
GPJ is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. In addition to federal law requirements, GPJ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. GPJ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on any protected class.